Friday, September 22, 2006

He Showed me

I used to rock a jerry curl afro when I was eight. I had very curly hair and sometimes if I didn't comb it, my hair would lock. I thought I was independant so I had my mother take me to go get a jerry curl.

I liked my curls dry, so I never put any activator in it like most people in the 80's did. I didn't like the "soul glow" look and tried to keep it looking like a fro

I remember he would show me how to comb my 'fro to be big. While he showed me he would tell me stories about how he had a 'fro once and how it used to be really big. I would laugh cause he had a bald head now and I couldn't imagine how his head used to have hair.

__________________________________________________


I wanted to be a boy so bad. I had this tomboy spirit in me and would race the boys, play soccer with the boys, beat up the boys and climb trees like the boys. He never once complained that he had all girls and found it amusing that he had a tomboy. He showed me how to ride a bike, how to throw a punch, how to make people laugh. He taught me how to mark a goal post, how to run with my heels digging into the ground faster than the rest. He pointed out trees I shouldn't climb because of thorns, how to mow the lawn and how to knot a rope.

________________________________________________

I hated getting up in front of people, I thought I looked fat and ugly. I didn't like the fact that everyone was staring and I didn't think I had a voice. I was five when he took me to church, and put me in front of the congregation had me sing a solo. He showed me how to have confidence, and not be intimidated by what is infront of me. He taught me how to sing and stand up straight projecting my voice. He never doubted my gift, he never doubted my talent.

He is my father and today he turns another year wiser. Happy Birthday dad! Thanks for everything you taught me and are still teaching me. I love you!

p.s: My two special men (my dad and baby) are born in September and they both love it!

3 comments:

Kafo said...

wow
who r u
i didn't know u could write like this

na wa ooooooooooo

Vixen said...

a bi o. Omo tears wan drop for my eye! This was sooooo beautiful. You should definitely print this up and share it with him.

moongirl said...

Wow - what a great Dad! You write well and I agree with Vixen - you should share it with him (you probably already have!).

Past Posts and Comments